Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Table, A Lamp and A Bar

I've been collecting mid-century furniture for fifteen years now, but since being exiled in Dallas, I've not been quite so avid. You have to seek MCM out in Dallas. In California, MCM finds you. Ok, I'll admit it. I'm a lazy collector. But now the passion is back and I'm starting out a new business based on that passion. That said, let's look back at where it all began.

A Table, A Lamp and A Bar.

My first MCM purchase, a two-tiered side table. Its twin was sold, but it made no difference to me. I loved the blonde and the black. I loved the stilleto legs, the glass tier and the brass caps. This table was purchased from X21 Modern design in Sacramento, California. I'm not sure if the store is still there or not. If it is, check it out.
  
I've been hesitant to refinish the table, but I'm going to take on the challenge. I'll post the "after" pics.


Top view with my Uggy toes.

Stilleto legs. So sexy!

My first MCM lamp. I picked this up at a yard sale in NorCal. There is no branding, but I have seen similar crab-style lamps from Heywood-Wakefield. I have no idea if the shade is original. I fell in love at first sight and will NEVER part with this one.

detail of the crab-like base.
 
The third element. I actually swooned when I saw this in a dismal little junk shop. It is in original condition and earned that nasty scratch in the last move. This will be one of my Modern Hindsight projects and may end up as the company mascot. The large square hides a swivel bar with space for a dozen martini glasses, a dozen bottles and a mirror.

All dressed up and ready for action.


No comments:

Post a Comment