Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

It's A Danish Mixed Breed

 I needed some chairs for the kitchen table. It was a chance to experiment with MCM and I was up for the challenge.

I was after a Danish Mixed Breed, must be comfortable enough to hang out and linger with a cup of coffee and a friend or two. Fabric must be indestructible.

Danish modern dining chairs as discovered. They came from an estate consignment that included many top name pieces. That said, John, resident expert and proprietor of Moderne had never seen anything like it, nor did he have any information about them.

The chairs are more air than chair and they had stiletto legs.
   I had to have them.

I wanted black patent leather, but ultimately the seats were re-covered in white faux crocodile pleather. Why? Because it's f-ing cool, it's unexpected (meaning it's not some boring grey or green wool blend) and my kids can't destroy or stain it.  
 
The result.
I love it.

However, I have received less than enthusiastic responses from 2 separate MCM dealers. One reaction was polite, but nonplussed. The second opinion came from a dealer in Southern California named David Somethingorother. I was trying to buy 3 more similar chairs from his website, so I sent him a quick image of the renovated chair.  After telling me they had no pedigree (duh), he shared his opinion that I paid too much for the renovation, that they looked like they were from Pottery Barn (that's just spiteful) and that I had basically ruined them. Thus ended the sales negotiation.

Bottom line: I still need 3 or 4 more chairs. Similar in style, and yes, I will renovate them as pictured here. Clearly, they will not be coming from El Segundo. I am inclined to limit my interstate commerce to NorCal at this point.  
  
The legs are not teak, so I had no guilt about the black stain. Well, OK I had some residual guilt, but they weren't teak in the first place so I let it go.

The backs of the chairs look great with our red steel kitchen table.
  
So they aren't some fancy brand name and they had humble beginnings, but that doesn't mean that MCM can't be chic and fun anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment